DID YOU KNOW? Stanley Cup Trivia
Here’s some NHL trivia for the off-season.
- The Montreal Canadiens hold the record for the most consecutive games won in the final. They swept in 1976 and 1977 and won the first 2 in 1978.
- Daniel Briere was the most recent player to have 10 or more points in a Stanley Cup Final. Briere finished with 12 points (3 goals, 9 assists) for the Flyers in 2010.
- Chris Pronger is the only player to ever score on a penalty shot in a final. He scored for the Oilers against the Carolina Hurricanes on June 5, 2006.
- As a coach, Scotty Bowman has won the most Stanley Cup Championships. Bowman won nine: Five with the Montreal Canadiens, one with the Pittsburgh Penguins, three with the Detroit Red Wings.
- Jacques Plante has won the most games in the history of the final as a goaltender. Plante’s 25 victories are one more than Dryden and four more than Broda.
- The Montreal Canadiens is the only team to ever score 3 goals in less than 1 minute in the finals. In 1954, the Canadiens scored three goals in 56 seconds against the Red Wings in Game 2.
- The New York Islanders holds the record for the most power-play goals in one Stanley Cup Final. The Islanders scored 15 power-play goals in six games against the Flyers in 1980.
- The 1951 Toronto Maple Leafs is the only team ever to capture the cup by getting all four of its wins in overtime.
- The Toronto Maple Leafs was the first team to win 3 consecutive Stanley Cups.The Maple Leafs were champions in 1947, ’48 and ’49.
Photo Credit: All photos herein are the property of Getty Images and were published by northDsports with their permission and consent. All content herein, other than property published by permission, is the property of northDsports.com and any reproduction, other than normal social media sharing, is strictly prohibited. Copyright ©, northDsports.com. For reprint permission contact firstname.lastname@example.org